Monday, June 4, 2007

Un bon week-end mais le travail recommence

(A good weekend but work starts again)

http://memphis.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003812&l=70342&id=103400049

If you can get that link to work, or copy it into your browser thing, that is my facebook photo album of france pictures, and apparently you can follow that link to look at it even if you don't have facebook. Give it a try and let me know if it doesn't work! It's just easier to put a lot of pics on there and not as easy to put them all on here.

I had a pretty fun weekend but unfortunately didn't speak much French! Friday I got out of class at noon and ate lunch with Mandy and Sam. Then Sam and I headed out to walk around town for a while. We ate some crepes in La Place Plumereau, which is the big plaza/square area in the older section of Tours. Then, we walked down towards the river and found a fountain that is supposedly "American territory," so I guess in a way we were home for a few minutes! After walking around the city and exploring some stores we headed to our separate homes for dinner with our host families. Later on that night I met up with Sam again and we headed towards La Place to hang out with some of the other people from our group. We went to the Sherlock Holmes pub, and I'm pretty sure our group was obnoxiously American. Not that we can help it anyway--I think we all have USA stamped on our foreheads, or for me- my smile. I was unaware, but apparently the French never smile like we do. I smile all the time (in case you all haven't noticed) and in the States I think we all consider it polite to smile at strangers on the street. I have been told here that smiling at a man that I do not know on the street is an "invitation." Needless to say I am now walking to school staring straight ahead and trying my best to be a forlorn frenchie. Haha.

Saturday I met up with Mandy and Sam and we had lunch at a small cafe near La Place Plumereau--it was great: sandwich, drink, fries, dessert crepe for only 5€50. I think we will go there again. Then we conquered the French bus system. We got the right bus (on the first try) to head south of town to Carrefour- an 'hypermarche' greatly resembling our Walmart, but with a kind of mall circled around it. It was great fun. I bought some clothes at H&M and we picked up some random stuff at Carrefour before heading back on the bus. We stopped at a briocherie for my first try of chocolate brioche--loved it, of course. We sat on a bench in the middle of a huge pedestrian intersection and ate our brioche and I could have sat there forever just watching the people on our first sunny day in a week. My teacher said today "En France, c'est possible d'avoir quatre saisons dans une seule journee" (In France, it's possible to have four seasons in a single day.) That night Sam, Mandy, Mandy's roommate Danny, and I went to an Irish pub to watch the football (soccer) match between France and Ukraine. That was pretty fun as well.

Yesterday (Sunday) I stayed at my house all day and read books. Fun, I know. Now I'm off to read some more for class tomorrow. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Je vous aime,

Catherine

6 comments:

Laurel Childs said...

Oh I love that four seasons comment! It just sounds incredible! Don't you let anyone tell you to stifle that smile! Smile on, my precious girl, just dodge those Frenchy come-ons! I can't wait to check out facebook pics! Have a great day! Mommee'

Ryan and Larry said...

I wonder how many "invitations" you sent out before you knew what you were doing??? I bet you had to send out at least 1,000! :)

I read your blog this weekend while I was in Hardy, AR. Not quite the same as France, but it will have to do I guess. Especially since I didn't have to hear or speak French! I miss you!

PatC said...

Grandanny and I are thinking about that big smile. You could always look up and not at anyone. Watching the people is usually the most rewarding of all your moments. They are an education in itself.

Dana said...

you're spending a lot of time with Sam....

Laurel Childs said...

Dana,
That is just what I was thinking!!! But me thinks Sam is a bit too young!! Isn't he, Catherine? No more young ones!
heehee!

Anonymous said...

As I read that post I thought the exact same thing that Dana did! Getting pretty chummy with Sam, huh? :)
Your weekend sounds much cooler than mine was. I wish I was eating a crepe or chocolate b..(stuff? I don't remember the word) on some pedestrian intersection trying not to smile at the men. Sigh...still so jealous.
We missed you at Lydia's wedding. She was so pretty!
Can't wait to read more soon (hint hint)!