(I am at the middle of the trip)
Meaning... I have been here just about two and a half weeks and I have about two and a half weeks left until I come home!
I'm still loving reading all of your comments. They make me smile! Ok, let's see what we have for today. I am finished with class for the week- so I only have two more weeks of class to go. These first two weeks flew by, so I'm guessing the rest will go by even faster. Tomorrow I go on the school trip to Mont St Michel and St Malo-- two places around the northwest coast of France. We leave at 7 in the morning and don't return until near midnight. The bus ride is long, but I've heard these two places are gorgeous. I will be sure to give you some pictures next week!
Speaking of pictures, as you can see I added some above of last night's soiree, out at Sherlock Holmes again. It was a really fun night. I decided to join the group and go out last night, since tonight I will be going to sleep early in preparation for tomorrow's early departure time! The bar was packed full of Americans from my school, so I wasn't exactly getting the international experience haha. I hung out with some of the girls a while but mostly talked to Harry for the night--he's one of the guys from my group and he is from Buffalo, NY. Before you all start getting any ideas-- this kid is 18 and just finished his first year of college. So no, there is no interest! But he's really smart and very nice so we talked a long time about really random, but really deep stuff. We had a long conversation about creation vs. evolution and haha I'm not sure how/why we got onto that in the middle of the bar, but it was fun! We also had a small photo shoot of ourselves as you can see. Anyway, I'm running on very little sleep today but enjoying my Friday lots! I hope you enjoy yours!
Update!! I made progress with one of the twins last night! I had a dinner with the mere, grand-mere, and twins, and as usual, the twins left to run upstairs as soon as they finished their food. They didn't really talk much, just rolled their eyes at the funny stuff their mother said, etc. After I sat and talked to mere, grand-mere, and Alto for a little bit, the mother yelled upstairs to tell the girls that they needed to finish and check their English homework. They've both been studying English for four years. Anyway, they both kinda whined and said ok. I think maybe they don't get along with their mother very well- they are very much in the typical 14-yr-old stage of life. I told Evelyne that I would be happy to help them with their English homework if they ever wanted me to check it or something, and she said (I'm translating here) "Well, you better tell them that yourself because if I suggest it they will definitely not want to do it. We can all offer all the help in the world but they have a hard time accepting it." So... when I left dinner to go upstairs, Agnes- the one in room next to me- came out of the bathroom and said, "Catherine, look at my new pants I bought today! Do you like them?" And I told her yes I liked them, and then I told her I could help with English, if she wanted. She immediately said, "Did my mother tell you to say that??" I laughed and said no no it's just me, and then she said YES and pulled me into her room. So for just about ten minutes I went over a worksheet she had already done and helped her answer the next few questions. It was awesome! I told her to let me know anytime she wanted help b/c I love doing stuff like that and she asked if I was sure it didn't bother me. I told her no it's great, and I can help Aldona as well, and she said "Ok I'll tell her! Merci!" It was a very simple ten minutes but it was huge for me because she slowed down her French speaking for me, and I slowed down the English homework for her and well, it just made me happy. So I just thought you all would like to know that, as I complained yesterday about not getting much talk time with the girls. Sunday is their confirmation into the Catholic church, so there is going to be a huge family lunch at the house afterwards. I don't know that I am invited to the confirmation, but I think that would be cool to go to, and the lunch is going to be crazy--all women (family and friends of Evelyne) and one male cousin. The mom continually tells me that if I came to France to meet men that I was put into the wrong house! But I love it, and I wouldn't trade them for any other family situation here.
Again, I won't have the internet on Saturday and Sunday, so I will be doing big updates on Monday!! Definitely should have some pictures then... I hope everyone has a super great Friday and weekend! I'll be back on here later today so send me some comments!
A bientot,
Catherine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Looks like y'all had fun at the bar...although I can't believe that's what you and Harry talked about! Actually, yea I can probably believe that... :)
I'm glad you finally got some one-on-one time with one of the twins. Do they ever speak in English to you?
I'm jealous of your weekend travels and can't wait to hear all about them on Monday! It looks like it might be rainy here all weekend, ugh.
Oh, this is random, but when you get back (in two and half weeks!) I still want to borrow that Ellen book. I keep thinking that every time I layout b/c I don't have a good book right now. I'll remind you when you get home. Til then, keep having fun! Miss you!
I'm kinda jealous of the weekend travels as well. I mean, I'm going to Nashville, but that doesn't exactly compare to the Northwest Coast of France, now does it?
It's always exciting making breakthrus when it comes to 14 year old girls, that's for sure! Yay for you being a good teacher (but, um, I kinda expected that already).
And, while I'm glad you are having a wonderful time, I'm gonna be a little selfish and be happy you are at the midpoint, cause that means you'll be home in not so long!
I have told you before that you are wonderful, but you just proved it. To win over a 14-yr-old is a real feat. To know that you would make that much effort only shows the kind of person you are. We love you.
Ignore the boys and little old men and come home.
G'danny
So Catherine, you might be having another cool trip summer 2008! Your mom called me on, I think Wednesday, and I started tearing up just thinking about the possibility of going...Oh my goodness how much fun would that be, I can't even quit smiling about it I am so excited! And as your mom would say... Fireworks!!!! :)I am working on filling everything out so I can get it turned in asap! And, yes, you do not have to correct me, I am aware that I have ended every sentence with an explanation mark!! I am that excited so I wanted you to read it just like I was thinking it! HaHa! Have a great weekend, it sounds incredible. Can't wait until you are home and we can talk about your trip and our possible trip next summer (if we both make it, fingers crossed). Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment